Friday, December 25, 2009

Newsy news

It's been a while since I've had anything interesting and related to say as far as my African-related adventures go, but finally something new happened. As some of you know, I've sent out the abstract of my Ethiopia-based thesis to several global health conferences, and, what'd'ya know, I've gotten an offer to present!

"we are pleased to announce that your abstract has been accepted for Topic Table Presentation. Please consider this email a formal invitation to present at the Global Health Conference in Cuernavaca, Mexico in April 2010 in the Topic Table Format."

The Alliances for Global Health Education Conference (aka Global Health Education Consortium, aka, GHEC) will be held in Cuernavaca, Mexico from April 9 to 11th, 2010. According to wikipedia, it's a really delightful place to visit, and many Aztec emperors kept their summer residences n or around taht city. I like the sound of that! There's going to be ruins, gardens, museums, cathedrals, and a slew of global health education professionals that love what they do, and want to learn more! Can you tell, I'm just a little excited.

Here's what I'll be doing:

"Topic Table Presentations

The Topic Table is designed as an informal and intimate round-table session where up to 12 individuals discuss a shared topic over a single lunch session. Topic Table Sessions encourage interaction, discussion, and debate between interested participants and the topic “expert(s)” at each table – allowing for up to an hour of direct Q&A. Topic Tables can include up to, but no more than, 2 abstract presentations, to provide ample discussion time."

Although I sent in an application to a full presentation, I found this opion to be way better than the possibility of me having to stand at a podium in front a couple hundred of world experts on global health. It is more relaxed, intimate, and laid back. I like that.

So, there's that update. I'm still waiting to hear from the DC Global Health Conference that'll be held in June. But, apparently that one is harder to get into, and is more prestigious. So, I'm not holding my breath. It would be delighful to go visit Rajani for free though.

So, cross your fingers for me!

Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment